Blueprint Gaming are well known for bringing us bright, fun slots that allow users to enjoy the entire experience rather than just the bonus feature. In February 2020, Rick and Morty became the latest in a long list of well known characters to be thrust onto our screens in slot form, with Rick and Morty Megaways. Bringing us a Megaways version before a regular version went against the grain of everything we had seen from Blueprint Gaming before, so we didn’t think a 5×3, 20 pay line slot was coming any time soon. How wrong were we? This month, Rick and Morty (Wubba Lubba Dub Dub) comes to our devices, taking us back to the experience we have come to love from slots like The Goonies and Ted.
Rick and Morty is set in Rick’s lab, and visually is exactly what you would expect. The graphics of this slot are fantastic, but to be honest we wouldn’t expect anything less from Blueprint Gaming – there is no provider that does these style of slots better. The sounds, backing music, and animations all take the player back to days spent watching Rick and Morty, so the experience is fun if nothing else.
As with most of Blueprint Gaming’s movie & television themed slots, Rick and Morty is packed full of features, with 6 bonus games, and 7 base game modifiers for players to uncover and experience. The maximum win is capped at 50,000x but it seems unlikely any players will reach that cap, as volatility is described as medium. RTP is set at 96.11%, and there is a variety of stake options to suit every player.
There are 11 symbols that make up the pay table of Rick and Morty, including 4 low paying symbols, 4 premium symbols, a top symbol, a wild and a scatter symbol. At the lowest end of the pay table, Jacks and Queens both pay 2.5x bet for 5 of a kind, and Kings and Aces pay 5x bet, again for 5 of a kind. We start to recognise the imagery from the cartoon once we reach the premium symbols, where Death Crystals and Kalaxian Crystals both pay 10x bet for 5 of a kind. Both the Rick symbol and the Morty symbol pay 15x bet, again for 5 of a kind.
As expected, the top symbol of this slot, involving Rick and Morty in a portal, is super stacked, paying 25x bet for 5 of a kind. The Space Cruiser wild again pays 25x bet for 5 of a kind, and substitutes for all symbols except the Scatter. 3 or more Scatter symbols in view awards the Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Bonus Portal.
Rick and Morty Base Features
During any spin, players can be awarded the Pickle Rick Power Spin, which triggers 1 of 7 modifiers. This isn’t anything new from Blueprint Gaming, but it is something that players know and love, with established versions being The Goonies Red Key, or Ted’s modifiers. The 7 modifiers available are: Cosmic Cash, Bonus Blitz, Wild Stacks, Colossal Chedda, Victory Spin, Schwifty Wilds, and Mystery Moolah.
- Cosmic Cash: Rick’s laser beam shoots cash symbols onto the reels, which are held until no new symbols land
- Bonus Blitz: The classic bonus boost Blueprint Gaming have always offered, and changes the bonus symbols to being the full height of the reels, similarly to The Goonies.
- Wild Stacks: Changes any of reels 2, 3 & 4 into wild stacks, with the possibility to be multiplier stacks.
- Colossal Chedda: Adds a 3×3 colossal symbol to the reels, either landing on the first 3 reels, or the middle.
- Victory Spin: Changes symbols on the reels into the same symbols to create a winning combination.
- Schwifty Wilds: Fires wild symbols on to the grid in random positions.
- Mystery Moolah: Adds mystery symbols to the reels, which all reveal the same symbol.
There is a chance for Rick to move symbols to create new wins within Mystery Mayhem. Alongside these modifiers, there is a Laser Beam which can remove symbols from the reels to create a winning combination, and a Win Streak, which locks symbols in and continues re-spinning until no new wins are created from the chosen symbol. These are both reminiscent of features we have experienced in Sausage Party and King Kong Cash.
Rick and Morty Bonus
Landing 3 or more Scatter Symbols awards the Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Bonus Portal. Players have the potential to trigger 1 of 6 Schwifty Bonuses. As with most Blueprint Gaming Slots, the bonus games are ranked from “worst to best”. That said, players have the chance to gamble from one to the next. When a gamble is taken, and lost, players are awarded the dreaded Mystery Win. The available bonuses are: The Pilot Bonus, Rick, Rattle and Roll Bonus Chase, Mr Meeseeks Free Spins, Anatomy Wild Monster Spins, Evolution of The Pickle Wild Spins, and Rick ‘n’ Roll Mega Bucks.
- The Pilot Bonus: Wildly considered the bonus with the least potential, and a classic pick bonus. The screen will be covered in Mega Fruits and players will pick until 3 of the same characters are revealed, at which point they are awarded the prize associated. Players can also upgrade the win values, or win a higher valued bonus.
- Rick, Rattle and Roll Bonus Chase: Players advance along a path of multipliers, eventually picking a Collect symbol. Players are then awarded the multiplier win they have landed on. This is similar to many trail bonuses we have seen before. If players advance past 40x they enter the “Big Money” Area. Here, they can win a higher valued bonus, or a higher win multiplier value.
- Mr Meeseeks Free Spins: Incredibly similar to the bonus we have witnessed on Genie Jackpots: Wishmaker. 10 free spins are awarded, and as wilds land on the middle 3 reels, positions are highlighted. On the final spin these positions are again filled with wilds. When a wild lands on top of n already highlighted position it turns into a multiplier wild. The maximum wild multiplier available is x5. If players fill all 9 spaces with at least a x1 wild on each, 5 more free spins are awarded.
- Anatomy Wild Monster Spins: This bonus awards 10 free spins, with expanding wilds and symbol transformations. Landing a wild symbol transforms all premium symbols on the reels into the same symbol. This is similar to Super Sloth Free Spins in The Goonies.
- Evolution of The Pickle Wild Spins: Played on 5×4 reels, paying across 40 lines. There is a syringe meter and symbols, which increase the size of the roaming wild. Spins continue until the meter is full, and therefore there is no designated amount of spins awarded
- Rick ‘n’ Roll Mega Bucks: The Big Money Bonus that we all know and love, but with an added twist. As the reels spin, cash amounts land and are awarded to the player. There are 3 spins, which reset each time a symbol lands, much like Money Train or Donuts. Landing a portal awards a bonus upgrade, which can include Cash Boosts, Bank Cash or Extra Life. Character Symbols provide higher wins, and award 10x, 20x, 30x. 50x, or 100x bet to the win if they land, with the ability to land multiple times. If players fill the entire grid, a pick appears which awards a multiplier to the total win; either x2, x3, x4 or x5.
Blueprint Gaming are the best in the business at these kinds of slots, and Rick and Morty has not disappointed. Sure, it doesn’t have that massive potential that high volatility chasers thrive off, but it packs a punch with fun. This makes it an enjoyable experience for the player. For fans of the show, the slot will take them back to days spent watching television after school. The audio and visual flash backs within this slot are second to one.
Whilst continuing on the trend that The Goonies and slots alike have set, Blueprint Gaming have still managed to bring us something new with Rick and Morty; this slot is far from a re-skin. New bonus rounds, and an upgraded Big Money Bonus set this slot apart from its’ predecessors. Alongside this, with the amount of features crammed in, it will take players a while to see everything on offer. A great addition to Blueprint's portfolio, and a fantastic slot for both new players, and huge Rick and Morty Fans.
*The screenshots taken of games reviewed on this site are taken from Demo Play, as reviews are often written before games are released for real play.